Translate

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies from Jamie Oliver


Orange Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Coffee
On my way back to one of my trips in Europe, I got hold of Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Ministry of Food cookbook.  I got it tax free but I wasn't quite sure whether it really was a bargain.  Regardless, I was impress with the chef's advocacy of teaching people how to cook at home so they can have healthier and more nutritious options rather than eating out or buying at convenient stores all the time.  According to the book, anyone can learn to cook in 24 hours.  And Jamie Oliver actually encourages his readers to pass on the simple recipes that they learn so that everyone can learn how to cook.  It's the same concept as paying it forward. 

While I don't really use this book as reference for dessert recipes, I was intrigued by one of his cookie recipes.  I tried it yesterday and you can get Jamie Oliver's recipe for Citrus Cookies after the jump.
Cookies (Basic Cookie Dough Recipe)

Ingredients:

125 gram (8 Tablespoon) Unsalted Butter
100 gram (~1/2 cup) Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg
100 gram (~3/4 cup) Flour
25 gram (~1/4 cup) Porridge Oats
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt

For Citrus Cookies
Zest of 1 Orange (~ 1 Tablespoon)
Zest of 1 Lemon (~ 1 Tablespoon)

For the double Chocolate cookies
50 gram White Chocolate, roughly chopped
50 gram Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped

How to make the cookies

Method:

Step 1: Prepare your ingredients.
     - Set aside ingredients in separate bowls.
     - Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in one bowl.

Step 2: Prepare Cookie Dough
     - Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.  
     - Once well incorporated, add egg.  Mix well.
     - Add oats and flour mixture in batches.  Mixing lightly after each addition.

Step 3: Mix Add Ons
     - If making a Citrus Cookie, add lemon and orange zest to the cookie dough and mix well.
     - If making Double Chocolate Cookies, fold white and dark chocolates into cookie dough.

Step 4: Freeze Cookie Dough
     - Spoon mixture into a piece of clingfilm and roll into a sausage shape with a roughly 7cm diameter.  Freeze the dough for 30 minutes.  This will harden dough just enough to make it easier to cut.

Step 5: Baking the Cookies
     - Preheat oven to 190 C or 375 F.
     - Get your chilled dough out of the freezer and cut it into 1cm thick slices.
     - Place these on two non-stick baking trays, making sure you leave a good bit of space between slices.
     - Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
     - Let them cool down slightly before placing on a wire rack to cool completely and crisp up.

Jamie Oliver's Citrus or Double Chocolate Cookies

For half of the dough, I just added Orange zest (1/2 Tablespoon) while for the other half, I tried combining Orange zest (1/2 Tablespoon) with 1/2 cup of semi-sweet Chocolate chip cookies.  Aesthetically, my cookies didn't turn out like Jamie Oliver's.  I think it's got to do with my the oven I'm using.  Taste-wise though, I believe it's the same.  These cookies went so well with my everyday coffee.  The orange flavor combined with the lovely taste of chocolates just goes so well with coffee.  While it won't make your girlfriend say "I do," it's definitely a better alternative to store bought cookies.        

The best cookies I've made so far are still these Cashew Butter Cookies!  


Send NEW articles to your Email for FREE. Subscribe to My Friend Sun Jun by Email now. Click this link!


Related Articles:



Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.

You might want to check out the following sites as well:
FREE Photo stories
Online Marketing Strategies
Start Up your Own Business
FREE Personal Finance Site

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Free Email Subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow Ups

Samurai of Light | Photo Blog

Samurai of Light | Photo Blog
Visit my Photo Blog

MONEY MAGNETS FREE!!!